A website won’t give a return if no one knows about you. With a little effort, you can utilize social media to get more followers and direct them to your website and/or blog.
Get More Followers Locally
Creating a local presence can be more challenging than establishing an Internet presence. If you need to be more visible, there are a few things you can do to connect locally.
- Use targeted ads on Facebook targeted to your geographical area. Set a budget of a few dollars each week to test the waters.
- Connect with people you already know.
- Encourage customers/clients to follow you on social media.
- Connect with other businesses in your area. LinkedIn is especially helpful for professional connections.
- Leave sincere and engaging comments on other business’ pages.
Prepare Your Website to Receive Visitors
Copyblogger Sonia Simone suggests being prepared. Plan before you engage, so you’re ready for those visitors.
- Spruce up your website. Make sure it is mobile friendly.
- Create an app that visitors can download.
- Provide interesting web/blog content. Provide enough of it to warrant return visits.
- Offer a newsletter so visitors can subscribe.
- Create short, instructional how-to movies related to your business. You can also highlight your classes and events.
Social Media Buzz to Get More Followers
You can create a buzz on social media to generate more followers. Some of the ways to do this include:
- Hold an online contest. Post to your Facebook page. Be sure to include a share button.
- Encourage shares by offering an additional entry for sharing your post.
- Twitter hashtags help promote your website or blog. Create one that best conveys your business. If running a contest or event, come up with a unique hashtag.
- Instagram and Pinterest are visual marketing tools. Create a GIF or meme that inspires sharing.
- Live streaming is a big plus for Facebook and other social media venues. Simone suggests scheduling, “…two well-planned, 10-minute sessions every day.”
- Join a related group or groups and interact without pushing your business. This social connection is a subtle way to get followers and establish relationships.
- Repost appropriate Facebook posts and retweet Twitter feeds.
It’s one thing to gain email subscribers, but quite a different story to maintain them. There are a few things your newsletter should offer to ensure loyal subscribers. Some of these include:
- Valuable content, such as helpful hints and suggestions related to your industry.
- Special subscriber only offers, discounts and specials.
- Keep subscribers engaged by being consistent with when and how often your newsletter is published/emailed.
- Feature an industry highlight or interview with high-profile industry professionals.
- Make your newsletters available online for subscribers only.
Engaging Blog Posts
If you commit to having a blog, you need to offer informative and actionable content.
- Keep each blog post to a maximum of 500 to 600 words.
- Include several photos/videos.
- Publish a new blog post 4– 5 days a week at a minimum.
- Invite guest bloggers to increase traffic to your website and get more followers.
- Hold a blogging contest and select winner(s) from commenters.
- Host a week-long guest expert on your blog.
Get Followers by Planning
The key to getting more followers depends on your strategy. Plan what you want for each social venue, your blog and website and create a schedule to ensure your success. Gaining followers takes time and consistent efforts. However, building a mailing list you can utilize for ongoing promotion is a vital part of success for your business.